Alpha Phi Alpha
Alpha Phi Alpha, the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African-Americans, was founded at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York on December 4th, 1906 by seven college men who recognized the need for a strong bond of Brotherhood among African descendants in this country. Alpha Phi Alpha today continues its commitment to members of the Fraternity and the African-American community through its mission: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity develops leaders, promotes brotherhood and academic excellence, while providing service and advocacy for our communities. True to its form as the “first of firsts,” Alpha Phi Alpha has been interracial since 1945. The TAU UPSILON CHAPTER was chartered here on Purdue University Northwest campus in spring of 2005 and has since then held the light of Alpha staying true to the aim of the fraternity: Manly deeds, Scholarship, and Love for all Mankind.
Many are called, but few are chosen. In the early months of 2003, a promising group of young men decided that they wanted to change the social landscape of the campus of Purdue University-Northwest, as well as the surrounding communities of Northwest Indiana. They heard the call of Alpha. But….Many are called, but few are FROZEN. So over the course of two years the group endured several changes in membership. But the ambition, dedication, and focus of a chosen few was what it took to usher in a new age of enlightenment on the campus of Purdue University-Northwest. A special mention is given to the Brothers of Gamma Rho Lambda Chapter for their guidance and sponsorship toward the light of Alpha.
The founding line consists of five noble and distinguished young men who, in the Spring of 2005, undoubtedly created a legacy, that will ultimately become a dynasty, that will stand strong and proud as the Brothers of Tau Upsilon continue to uphold the light of Alpha Phi Alpha.